Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Musings on Chinatown

5 Reasons Chinatown Is An "Interesting" Place to Work:

1. The Exercise Dude who works out in the middle of the intersection of 7th and H gets everyone amped up for mid-day workouts. Good idea especially if you have eaten at Five Guys. However he has been missing recently. Could it be the oppressive heat? Where art thou Exercise Dude? Wherefore is thine headband and biker shorts?

2. There are always a disturbing number of teenagers walking around the Gallery Place metro stop. Even when school was in session they were always there, making fun of pedestrians and hitting on people.

3. I LOVE Marvelous Market (otherwise known as Mahhhhhvelous Mahhhhket). I'm going broke eating their delicious pasta salads and homemade brownies every day.

4. I work by Hooters and I think people are assuming that is where I work as I enter the adjacent building. Even though I have been offered jobs at other Hooters locations, for the time being I do not work there. Besides, the girls at the Chinatown Hooters are obnoxious twigs.

5. Back to the topic of food - Five Guys, Matchbox, China Doll, Tai Shan (not the panda!), Tony Cheng's, Clyde's, Chipotle, California Tortilla, the aforementioned Mahhhhhhvelous Mahhhhket, Fado, RFD, Drinx, Subway, Quiznos. All of these are within 3 blocks of me :)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be nice...I'd be 300 pounds just from Matchbox alone!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I'm on K street, in the Golden Triangle. Although it's not bad...it's no Penn Quarter.

Whodathunk we'd ever be salivating over the PQ area?

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think "wherefore" == "why"

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I still have not been to 5 Guys.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

Love. This. Area! Zango and Zaytina too.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say, I'm jealous. All I have is a McDonald's and Quizno's. At least it saves me money though...right?

Damn you and your delicious choices.

:)

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I must note, both Wonkette and DC Blogs on the same post! :)

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exercise guy starts in the morning in front of MassCourt down by 4th and H! He hasn't been there in a while, but I believe I saw him two Saturdays ago at 8am sharp! (You can always hear him, he sings loud to the music as well....cheering on the commuters as they enter the 3rd street tunnel)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Congrats on your mentions with this one!

It sounds like a very entertaining place to work, and I know the area definately is fun.

And we have to get Chase to Five Guys-are ya kidding?!!?! :-)

9:01 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

twoste - i could live on subway everyday.

bettyjoan - i have successfully avoided packing on the pounds so far.

marci - in high school penn quarter's claim to fame was platinum and the spot. both were mediocre clubs. no one ever really went to penn quarter to dine or hang out.

anon- yes, wherefore means "why." i included it for the context of this post. dramatic effect no? i also used thine which someone pointed out should be thy. when in fact thine is correct because it is used before an h. i learned that some time ago in college. but i guess i could be totally wrong.

chase - you MUST go

lawrah - i was very impressed by zaytina.

mappy - i think quiznos and mcd's are my least favorite lunch options here in chinatown. but you probably save money and contribute it to scrumptious bath salts :)

anon - we finally have an exercise dude spotting!

9:13 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

I like how you pronounce Mahhhvelous Mahhhket, in the true uppity...uh... I mean upper northwest way it is meant to be pronounced.

10:14 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

Nothing says class like a Hooters location. (nothing says pretentious hipster like Starbucks, but I digress).

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

Holy crap! I work three blocks from you! And, you're right, it's AWESOME for lunch choices, not to mention mid-day movie sneak-outs.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your mention in the Express.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Workout Dude was recently spotted pirouetting on 10th and Penn. I also saw him on the corner of 7th and H two Fridays ago. He was hopping on one foot while twirling in circles... while he crossed against traffic in the intersection... during rush hour! ^_^

4:50 PM  
Blogger Raincouver said...

ah chipotle!! Ever spotted VK there? I think he could easily become their spokesman.

Last two times I was in chinatown, I ate at this Irish Pub (don't remember name) that left much to be desired. Customer's choice, though... what are you going to do?!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Mamma Bear said...

You have Exercise Dude, I have Crazy Bird Call Guy in Dupont :)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Living there is even more fun! :)

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home