Friday, July 08, 2005

Music for the Masses

I recently started buying CDs again. It's kinda fun and exciting to have a physical thing to hold that guarantees 70 minutes of fun ( ok maybe there are a few other electronics that can provide the same pleasure....). I'm not a music snob, but I definitely am not one to hop on the hipster bandwagon (Hellooo does anyone remember the Bravery??) Anywho, my latest obsession is Maximo Park, a dandy lil band from England that know how to write damn-good songs. Although they sound like a lot of other new wave Brit bands that I like (Bloc Party, Franz, etc), something about this CD is damn refreshing. Tracks like "Apply Some Pressure" and "Postcard of a Painting" have an undenied energy that reminds me of early Smiths mixed with a dash of Police.

My other fave CDs of 2005 so far are Bloc Party (amazinggg live), Gorillaz, Benzos, Common, Doves. And here are songs you should buy/download for that mini iPod with your initials engraved on the back:

"All the cool kids are smoking out back" Playlist

22-20's - I'm the One
The Walkmen - The Rat
Benzos - You're Forever an Hourglass
Bloc Party - Banquet
M.I.A. - 10 Dollar
Louis XIV - Finding Out True Love Is Blind
Gorillaz - DARE
Tegan and Sara - Walking With A Ghost
Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
Tears - Refugees (former members of Suede)
De Nova Dahl - All Over Town
The Gun Shys - Easy on the Eyes
Brazillian Girls - Don't Stop

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am downloading your entire playlist so i can be just like you! if you say its awesome, then by golly, it is!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Chopin Girl said...

Hiya there...
Just browsing through your blog... I'm trying to break away from my usual R&B and classical music mode--- just getting into Ms. Joni Mitchell and trying to do a bit more... I saw your post about this band... I don't know how much I'll like it but I think I'll take the plunge and see what this is all about! (Check out my blog sometimes!)

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home