Thursday, July 07, 2005

Praying for Peace

I always fall asleep with my TV on, usually on NBC. I wake up to the weirdly perky Katie Couric and surly Matt Lauer most mornings, with a side of Al Roker wishing he was somewhere else eating a Hostess cake. But this morning I awoke to Couric reporting the news of the attacks on London. My heart hurts for what has happened. This past week has been relatively jubilant for London, with Wimbledon, Live 8, and getting the 2012 Olympics. And now this. A completely horrific and terrifying organized act of terrorism. I have a friend doing an internship in London and I hope she is OK. I also hope Americans do all they can to reach out to the people of London. My prayers go out to London and England. Let us not forget how supportive they were when 9/11 happened.

When I had the pleasure of going to Italy last year, I became aware of the PACE campaign. This campaign supported by Italians was a campaign for peace, and citizens hung PACE flags from their balconies. It was an amazing sight to see such solidarity for peace in their nation. Here is an example of a flag:





I wish Americans could take on this campaign and pray for peace. We should pray for the lives of all people from Baghdad to Indonesia to Madrid who have been attacked by terrorists.

And you have to admire Tony Blair for being as eloquent as ever and showing how class and decorum go a long way when getting your point across:

"They will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilized nations throughout the world," Blair said before leaving and flanked by fellow G-8 leaders, including President Bush. "We shall prevail and they shall not."

Terrorist Attacks on London (MSNBC)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home