Monday, August 08, 2005

Food for Thought



If I only get one week a year to be a little selfish, this is it. This is that start of my birthday week. Yes, one week, where I take inventory of what’s important to me and potentially burn my candle at both ends. You have to live life to the fullest!

Yesterday I went shopping in Eastern Market and Georgetown. YAY for tax-free week in D.C. I picked up a large strand of brown beads, a glass blown dish, 2 layering camisoles from Urban Outfitters, a big bunch of sunflowers, and perfume. The perfume is of course Dior: “Dior Me, Dior Me Not”.

And this whole weekend I drowned my sorrows in food. Malibu Ken went back home to PA for 2 months while he recuperates from his reconstructive knee surgery (old college football injury). I don’t know if I’ll be able to stand not seeing him for 2 months, but I’ll tell you what I do know – I miss him tons.

Today is my office pot luck lunch. I’m counting down the minutes until 12:30 PM! This was an idea I suggested a few weeks ago (perfect for the intern’s last week and the start of my birthday week), so that automatically put me in the role of organizer. I had everyone sign up with a dish they could bring in. Here is the lunch menu:

1st Course
Gazpacho soup
Crab Salad
Spinach Artichoke Pastries (courtesy of Moi)

2nd Course
Cajun Style Pasta Salad
Asian Cabbage Salad
Black Bean Salad

3rd Course
Ghirardelli Brownies
Seasonal Fruit

The menu is heavy on the "salads". But those are the easiest to make and bring in. My contribution is Mini Phyllo Dough pastries filled with Spinach Artichoke Dip. It's really easy to make. The pastries can be bought pre-made. The dip is simply chopped spinach, artichoke hearts, cream cheese, milk, parmesan cheese, romano cheese, garlic, and onion. Fill each pastry with a tablespoon of dip, and bake for about 8 minutes. I can’t wait to dig in :)

And good news from Restaurant Week – some establishments have extended it to Aug 14. I heard Butterfield 9 and Bardeo are participating. Perfect. They clearly got the memo that my birthday is Aug 14 and have amended their promotions accordingly.

11 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

Yum! The two perfumes I can't leave home without: Hypnotic Poison and Addict. Both Dior.

12:44 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

UPDATE: Pot Luck Lunch was a rousing success. Everyone was happily content after our meal, and it gave the opportunity for all of us to sit down and discuss non-work subjects. Now everyone is suggesting I be in charge of organizing quarterly pot lucks! I've created a monster!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Mmmmmmm.......Ghiardelli......

3:06 PM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Oh my god! That pot luck is so much better than our standard food. :-(

4:19 PM  
Blogger RHB said...

Butterfield 9 was quite mediocre for RW. I went their for lunch last week and it wasn't anything to write home about.

They did, however, make a delicious creme brule.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Ohh that potluck thing sounds fun! Even though I work with mostly guys who might be frightened if I tell them all to bring something to share...haha.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Your office party fare sounds above the standard and delicious. As for perfume, right now: Desnuda by Ungaro for lightness in the summer heat, and Trouble by Boucheron for, well...trouble.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

I wear J'Adore, that I bought in Greece before it came out here. Then--ka-blam!!--it was all over the place. I still love it, though.

Enjoy your birthday week, Youngin'. Don't worry, we ladies get better with age (the 30s rock, Sister!). I hope to make it out to Local 16 on Saturday. If not, then we will hook up soon...

10:19 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

One reason I like going in Sephora is that they carry a wide assortment of perfumes.

And everyone in the office today had leftovers from our pot luck. Nothing like a good, free lunch :)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

If you go in Sephora, Miss Dior, try a tester of the original Hanae Mori. Men love it.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Another favoe (although not Dior) is Sum Sara. Yuuuuum!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home