Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Hounds of Love

When I was a child:
Running in the night,
Afraid of what might be

Hiding in the dark,
Hiding in the street,
And of what was following me...

Now hounds of love are hunting.
I've always been a coward,
And I don't know what's good for me
~Kate Bush


The Hounds of Love are after me. Malibu Ken and I spent a lot of time together this weekend and it was really wonderful.

Friday he was traveling on business all day, but he text messaged me before he got on the plane to come home. I thought, well, that was very thoughtful of him. Then he called me when he landed to let me know he was on his way home. Wow, didn't see that one coming. He wanted to know if I would come over and have a chill night in, but unfortunately I had already told S.Lo that I would go out with her and her sister. I could have very easily been "that" girl and cancelled on my friends, but I decided to call "chicks before dicks" and go out. We went to 1223 (MCXXIII or whatever) where the vibe was mighty lame and the bartender made me order a bottle of water to reach the credit card minimum. Even though I got pretty drunk, the bartender's attitude, as well as the venue was rank. I wish I had stayed in.

On Saturday MK spent most of the day at the River Styx, otherwise known as the DMV. I nursed a slight hangover and rested up until he came over in the afternoon. We had such a chill time watching Simpsons episodes and just talking. So refreshing. Then we went to eat thai, which was very fun and romantic because the food was great and there was a pretty good lounge singer there. Then we went to my place to watch Napolean Dynamite (which I grudgingly admit is marginally funny) followed by VH1's Greatest Hard Rock Artists (I was able to showcase my vast knowledge of British rock bands).

And I started to realize how much I really enjoy his company. There was no drama, no games. Just sharing our interests and having a relaxed time. It's the seemingly simple things that I am starting to appreciate when I'm around him.

Later that night when we were talking he asked me if he was coming over too much (he's been at my house 3 times in the last week). I told him that I enjoy his company and no, I didn't think he was around too much. He asked me if I would be his tour guide and show him some of my favorite spots in D.C., as well as go to a concert because it's his last weekend here for awhile. That made me kinda sad, but also happy that he wants to spend time together before he leaves.

Then we talked about how much his surgery is going to suck but he hopes he'll be 100% by the end of October. He hopes he's OK to fly by then because he has 2 airline vouchers he needs to use by November. Then he asks if I have anything going on in November (I've got one business trip to Chicago) and if I could come on a weekend trip with him.

Huh?

Weekend trip?

I didn't know what to say. To me it seemed like something you would bring up in a more evolved relationship... something that you do with a girlfriend. I told him that it would be touch and go, mostly depending upon his rehabilitation, but it could be a possibility. This triggered something in my head that made me think that I should be cautious of his intentions. Maybe this is moving too fast? Or am I just being a girl and putting too much meaning behind his nice gesture? I truly believe he's not just feeding me lines, but I have no idea why he would bring something like this up when it's months away. Does he just assume that during his absence our feelings will not change? I am trying to be realistic.....

Le sigh.

Sunday morning we decided to lie in bed reading the WashPo and doing nothing. We eventually got up and cooked some brunch. I was pretty proud of myself for making tasty eggs w/ cheese and onions. Then we watched more Simpsons episodes and had a chill afternoon. He didn't leave until 5 PM.


So I felt quite content and happy after this weekend.

Fast forward to Monday's horoscope via WashPo:

LEO (July 23-Aug. 22). Romance defies conventional logic. There is not one set of guidelines that will work in every relationship. So do what works for you! Sumptuous entertaining is worth the expense -- you will receive multiple social benefits.


Yes, romance here defies anything that I would have expected. I feel like there are no rules or games I can play with him and vice versa. But to use an old term, is this "expiration dating"? Does he feel like our time is limited so we need to cram things in before some inevitable factor comes up? I guess the inevitable factor would be his bigot parents. Where do his parents and family stand? Where does he stand on obeying his parents or choosing to live his own life? These are questions I didn't ask. And I'm not so sure I want to ask them during his last week and a half here. I know I'm delaying the inevitable but I want to enjoy his company while I can. There's so much swirling around in my mind. I feel like The Swirl Margarita at Lauriol Plaza.

So right now I'm mostly happy, but then sometimes I think I'm a hot mess. I've fallen in the proverbial sea of love and I'm clinging to a bouy as we speak. I may be full of contradictions, but I know that I am willing to invest in this relationship.

And he left his shirt here. And it smells like Polo Blue. And I might have slept with this shirt last night. God. Damn. Him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linz said...

oh, VP.. i LOVE the "Hounds of Love"! Kate Bush is my girl. Sounds like you've got a little dilemma on your hands...but an exciting one at that! Try to take it one day at a time and don't make any decisions before you have to. Just keep being yourself and being honest and things will work out as they should. Have fun! :o)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

There's something about the lingering scent of a man's cologne. I guess men know we get all goofy over things like this.

I see you are still getting spammer entries. The D.C. Blogger, "DirectCurrent," switched off the word verification password system and went to a program called Haloscan. He writes about it on his blog. You might want to check into it. He seems to think it has better protection against the spammers popping up lately.

1:56 PM  
Blogger RHB said...

"Does he feel like our time is limited so we need to cram things in before some inevitable factor comes up?"

Trust me. That's not it. He's not terminally ill. He's having knee surgery.

I don't think his intentions are misguided. Ever thought he actually likes you? But perhaps a weekend trip is a little much? Maybe it's perfect? You decide.

7:57 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

linz - kate bush is so wonderful. i just discovered her about a year ago.

chase - once again, thanks

squeeky - after having so many guys not into me, when one does come along it's so....foreign. but you are absolutely right. it's always good to hear a guy's perspective.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Love rules. :)

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home