Thursday, August 04, 2005

This Shit is Vaginas, V-A-G-I-N-A-S

"Nobody got hit running on the GW Parkway today...
Today was a good day" - Ice Cube (or not...)
I am NOT a morning person. I woke up today in a foul mood, due to a night of restless sleep compunded by anxiety concerning the deluge of ant refugees that have set up shanty towns in our kitchen.
My mood was instantly brightened during my commute to work (how many people can say that?!). I take the GW Parkway to work and it's a beautiful scenic drive. I love seeing the morning sun reflected off of the Potomac River and the Washington monument on my drive. I am a very lucky girl.
As I was driving and fumbling around for my Bloc Party CD, "Hollaback Girl" came on the radio. I go ass-birds for this song. Frantic car-dancing ensued. As I'm bopping along, I realize the cute kid in the Acura next to me is laughing, and shoots me a great smile. Thank you kind sir for acknowledging the power of the Stefani. People either love or hate this song - but either way they talk about it. I personally like the arrangement of the song, as well as the snycopation. The only thing I don't get is the lyrics. The B-A-N-A-N-A-S part doesn't really bother me (as you can see from the post title I have taken the liberty of suggesting a more fun approach while singing this middle eight). But why would a 32 year-old woman sing about meeting someone beside the bleachers to get beat down and preparing one's "pom-poms." Gwen darling, if you didn't make callbacks for the squad or your junior year production of Showboat I think it's time to get over it and move on. Well I suppose if you are a 32 year old millionaire married to the delic Gavin Rossdale, then you can do whatever the hell you want. I just hope Gwen doesn't go crazy and insist upon sleeping in a hyperbolic chamber while only being referred to as "Princess Harijuka."
"Awesomely Bad Humidity Hair" Playlist
Oasis – “Slide Away”
Longwave – “Heart Attack”
Supergrass – “Late In the Day”
Kate Bush – “Cloudburst”
PJ Harvey – “Good Fortune”
Ted Leo/Pharmacists -"Shake the Sheets"
Louis XIV – “Finding Out True Love Is Blind” (opening line is great)
Papas Fritas - "Way You Walk"
Richard Ashcroft - "Check The Meaning"
Sleater-Kinney - "Entertain"
VHS or Beta - "Alive"
Coldplay - "X & Y"
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth"
The Shins – “Caring Is Creepy”
The Stills – “Still In Love Song”
The Dead 60's - "Just Another Love Song"

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Hey Chocolate Girl, well you're lookin' like somethin' I want...

LOVE that song. :) And Hollaback Girl.

Love your mix, too. Rock on. Have fun tonight!

10:55 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I think Gwen's gone crazy already. Why the fixation on the japanese? Why's she all of the sudden filled with teenage angst? I dig the beat to "Hollaback" but that's about it...

11:41 AM  
Blogger RHB said...

I don't think I'm hip enough to even understand what she's talking about......

2:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

I vote the former.

And I've seen more Japanese in her videos than I ever have in one place at one time.

2:26 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

OK, the song in general is a lil dumb.

I've never been to Japan, but I think the only other time I've seen such a large grouping of Japenese people is summertime in Disney World.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate, hate, hate the Gwen song... but your playlist is pretty damn fantastic. Especially the CYHSY song; but the title is "The Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth". I only correct because it's currently at the top of my playlist faves and there is a shout out to my WV home in it.

4:14 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

I stand corrected! Thanks.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great playlist.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

How about throwing in a little Prince in there?

Some new-school like "On the Couch" or some real old-school, like "Bambi" or "Dirty Mind".

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home