Friday, September 09, 2005

A Note on Popped Collars

Oh the all-important popped-collar debate. I recently bought a Ralph Lauren polo with the big horse on the pocket area. It's like the picture here, but it's black with a silver pony.

My style is normally not preppy, but I couldn't resist the urge to grab one of these. And I got some ideas from the above picture how I can rock the polo in a cute, yet unpretentious way. In my own way I'm kinda poking fun at the Polo wearing set by wearing a polo with such a huge horse on it. Like, look at me! My horsie is bigger and better and way more Ralph Lauren than yourssssss!

We all know what the standard and pedestrian popped collar douchebags look like.

Oh dear lord. We all know that guy. He can be found in his natural habitat on M street between Rhino Bar and Third Edition. He is most likely accompanied by his nontourage who are also sporting the prepster uniform, complete with trucker hat and iPod. They think Chappelle Show is the funniest thing they've ever seen and know all the words to every [insert mediocre 80's band here] song.

The problem I have with the popped collar uniform is the pretentious attitude. It screams "I'm a jackass and have no clue what other people's experiences are like because my life revolves around prep school and an Audi A6." Don't get me wrong, Audi A6's are sweet. But you fools think you're the shit because you got some new Topsiders and work for an investment firm. (But they don't realize that their pearls-wearing girlfriend who seems like marriage material is actually an undercover whore who has her own walk-of-shame plaque from Kappa Alpha.)

Anyway, stylistically popped collars look silly. If you want to protect your neck wear sunscreen. Mudflaps for the chin is never a good look.

On the flip side, Kanye West has been rocking the popped collar for some time now for the urban "gangsta with a J. Crew credit card" set.


This look is slightly more acceptable in my book because it allows more individuality and edge. Actually I've seen some guys around here do it and it looks cute. It's like, "Look at me I pop collars and sport Roca-Wear. Fuck you to the establishment. G-UUUNITTT!"

Even students at Harvard are weighing in on this all-important topic.

So the dilemma remains: How to rock the polo without being pretentious. Maybe a half-pop that originates at the back of the neck? Can I do a half-pop and retain some dignity? Yes, I think I can do it with my own individual flair. These are the important questions here people. I'm going to keep a running tally of how many disturbed and mocking looks I get!

19 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Popped collar isn't that big here in Omaha, thank god. I think it looks retarded (with apologies to all handicapped folks out there). Especially if you rock the pop while you rock the pink. Either or prepster.

11:13 AM  
Blogger The Boy said...

For me it depends on where I'm going. I have a longish neck, so I think the popped popped collar actually looks better on me than a folded collar.

I would never pop the collar at work or to any family related events. However, I will pop the collar at parties and at bars when I'm picking up guys.

11:22 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

adam, count your blessings that Omaha has been spared.

the boy- hmm i like the idea of popping the collar to attract boys. it could be like my plumage. although i hope i don't inadvertently attract prepsters.

12:58 PM  
Blogger RHB said...

I used to do it back in the day. But then Jersey Trash started doing it, and I ceased.

Girls, it's ok
Dudes, booo

1:21 PM  
Blogger RHB said...

For the record:
For dudes: Wearing the collar popped is pretty much unacceptable unless you are in one of the following scenarios
1. With a group of at least 10 of your buddies who can defend you from the onslaught of everyone at the bar who want to beat your ass because you reek of douchebaggery.
2. You are partaking in nautical activities.
3. You are on the golf course.

A dude bedecking the popped collar in any other scenario deserves to be pummeled.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

VP, you're gonna look hot in that shirt. Pop away.

1:31 PM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

I say start something new. Cut the collar off.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

That shirt sounds hot and I WANT ONE. But I would want one in pink with a green horse or white with a pink horse...haha.

As for popping...some got it, some don't. It's only appropriate from about ages 18-24 (if that), and then it's just silly.

Some punk guys pop too...weird! Popping is apparently nondiscriminatory!

2:15 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

squeeky - thank you for your insight. i figured girls could get away with it easier than guys.

UA - i despise shabby chic and the Olsens derelict look - which i'm afraid describes what the polo would look like with the collar cut off!

AM - oh lord..pink w/ green? i would not be able to handle that, haha.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The half-pop will probably work best. The girl in the photo looks a little too bitchy.

12:39 AM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

What a cute shirt! I hadn't seen those yet- my credit cards are frozen these days :-(

When the popped collar thing first came back, I was at some cheesy bar and asked a 19-year-old kid if he remembered the last time that popping the collars was cool. His response: "This was in style before?" Ugh.

10:31 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

pink and green? What are you, an AKA?

word verification note: I got "jeooci" which I pronounced like a drawn out "juicy" -- I think I'll have to use this.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Johnny said...

i saw a polo rugby with a giant griffon on the chest.
i want it.

and anyone with a popped collar bleeds easy. just fist to nose. that's all im saying.

12:01 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

anon- thank you

johnny - agression much?

i think i will have to debut this polo at blogger happy hour.

1:13 PM  
Blogger T. Ambrose Nazianzus said...

This blog definitely ranks as awesome. It going to get linked on the Contrapuntal.

As for the Collar. Well, the thing about the popped collar is that, sometimes, people think you're pretensious...oh well.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

indecent offense, that person you are describing is simply a time traveller from 1987.

don't these people realize they are a pair of acid wash jeans away from looking just like this? I mocked them then and I will mock them today.

This reminds me when my younger brother showed up wearing those faux-suede hush puppy looking shoes a few years ago that I wore back in 7th grade. I ridiculed him endlessly.
(I realize the irony when you look at my photo)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I-66/VP - actually I'm a DZ...so that's why the pink and green. That and, it's been a hot color combo lately. I actually hated it before, but now I like it. What can ya do?

9:25 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

thank you very much terry.

**BREAKING NEWS** - I shall debut the big horsie polo tonight at blogger happy hour.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless you are an albino seeking to protect the epidermis on the back of your neck, a public stoning may be appropriate.

Did you notice that when two popped-collar dudes are in the same vicinity, the posturing between them resembles animals in the wild?

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home