Thursday, October 13, 2005

Do You Wanna Be A Polyester Bride?

Last night I got to check out Liz Phair at the 930 club (**quick- someone please give me a recap of Lost!!**). Stellar show and boy does she rock. She rocks hard. She commands the stage and isn't afraid to say what's on her mind - and I love that. I love that her lyrics embody so many thoughts that have run through my own head when it comes to men and relationships. "Fuck and Run", "Mesmerizing", "Flower" and "Blowjob Queen" were my standout picks from the night.

So this got me thinking about my not so secret wish to be a rock star, and how females in rock have given me much inspiration over the years. First, in the 80s it started with Jem. No not the pop-star Jem, but Jem and the Holograms. Synergy!! Glitter and Gold!! Great outfits, hot boys (Rio) and big hair. Perfect. To this day I can't remember what they did for a living, expect it was a female band that toured the world and played rocking shows. But of course I much preferred the Misfits - led by Pizzazz. These ladies were stylish and always about getting what they want. I collected all the dolls that came complete with polyester outfits and guitars. Then I wanted to be in a real band and wear funky outfits and play the keytar in Prince's New Power Generation ( Can anyone say "Get Off"??). Then came the 90s and there were so many amazing female rockers who held there own in a male dominated industry. Courtney Love, PJ Harvey, Gwen Stefani, Liz Phair, The Breeders, L7, D'Arcy from Smashing Pumpkins, Sleater Kinney, etc. etc. (not to mention the ladies of hip-hop like Mary J. Blige, Missy, Salt N' Pepa, MC Lyte, Queen Latifah). I also went through a Madonna phase where I tried to copy every look she ever had (my parents were not thrilled about this). However, I really really really wanted to be Shirley Manson. Something about her voice, her lyrics, and the way she carried herself screams B-A-D-A-S-S. I remember seeing the video for "Only Happy When It Rains" and immediately thinking: "I have got to get myself a mic, mini-shift dress, black knee high Fuck-Me-Boots, kohl eyeliner, and eye glitter. Lots of eye glitter. " (Pretty saucy for a 13 year old!)

So it was a dream come true when I got to see Garbage at the 930 club this past spring. It was ten years in the making. It's amazing how one song ("Vow") can take you back to when you were 13 and pissed off and wanting to make out with cute boys and rule the world....hmm I guess not much has changed :) Thank you Shirley, and thanks to all the women who rock.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

She was GREAT!! I was so happy to hear Polyester Bride, Rock Me, Supernova, and Baby Got Goin'.

Your record collection doesn't exist
You don't even know who Liz Phair is!
...
You think I'm genius, you think I'm cool
I'm starting to think that young guys rule!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Namaste said...

Count me in on wanting to be a rock star too. Go on, girl, go 'head, get down...

4:06 PM  
Blogger sethro said...

Wow. Your musical escapades are making me swoon. Just a titch. You are quickly becoming the Rock Goddess.

As for Lost...it centered around Hurley and the lottery ticket. Good backstory and how it related to him wanting to be liked by the survivors. Locke is assigning jobs to the other survivors, Jack sees Kate getting out of the shower. Claire finds the bottle of messages sent on the boat as it washes ashore. She gives it to Sun to do with what she wishes...Sun buries it. Michael, Jin, and Sawyer "make friends" with their captors, the folks that were in the back of the plane. Sexual tension between Sawyer and the new Michelle Rodriguz chick. We find out that there were 23 survivors, but now there are only 5 or 6. They seem to be holed up in a bunker much like the one Desmond was in...possibly what's behind the concrete that Sayeed was trying to get through in this episode. We find that Bernard, Rose's husband, who she always believed to be alive, is most definitely alive and with these other survivors. I'm sure I'm missing something. Good episode.

5:43 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

Sethro has lied to you. A ship showed up and everyone was saved. There was drinking and merriment. A poor guy from the wrong side of town shacked up with an innocent rich girl.

Then the ship hit an iceberg and sank. The end. Very sad.

Yep, I've never seen a single episode of Lost. Why didn't you tape it?

6:23 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

sethro - thank you for the recap, it's great. i'm glad Bernard is alive! oh and i should be emailing a pic to you of those pumas soon.

captain - tape the show??? why, that's so 1991. actually i don't own a VCR and don't have tivo. and you really need to start watching Lost.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

What a great week you are having for music. Rock on.

8:49 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

cube - and it gets better! i'm going to see death cub for cutie on the 23. i'm averaging one show a week. whew!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

yPaulo loves you.

~Paulo

12:12 PM  
Blogger Siryn said...

You know what's sad? A Jem (the cartoon) song popped into my head a couple of weeks ago! I was mocking someone (in my head) with the song Jealousy.

Doesn't it hurt?
Jealousy, baby
Doesn't it burn?
Jealousy
Doesn't it consume your soul, making you lose control?
Jealousy (x4)

Yeah, I'm a huge dork. NO, I don't know the lyrics to all the songs.

sigh. But yeah, strong women rule. :)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

VP - the correct spelling is "Gett Off", if I'm not mistaken.

(twenty-three positions in a one night stand...)

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home