Tuesday, October 11, 2005

ONE

We're one, but we're not the same
We've got to carry each other, carry each other.
One

U2 is still ringing in my ears! I went to NYC to see U2 and it was an amazing show. Hands down the best rock and roll band of our generation. Bono is enigmatic and the band's sound is tighter than a ziplock bag. Their set was amazing and I was only disappointed when they didn't play "Mysterious Ways." That's one of those songs you just feel like shaking your ass to, ya know? But if they played every song a fan wanted to hear they would have been there all night. My favorite song of that night was definitely "I Will Follow." Interestingly enough there was a pregnant woman sitting next to me trying to control her uberdrunk husband who eventually fell down the aisle trying to chair mosh. His buddies were behind him laughing and smoking a joint. Who smokes a joint around a pregnant lady?? And these weren't really young kids or anything - they were at least 35 yrs old.

Also, Mary J. Blige was a special guest and sang "One" with the band. She blew the roof off of that mutha! Another star sighting was Mischa Barton. I was walking along the concession area when I noticed a very tall, very pretty girl with a great outfit on walking with a rather scraggly fella. I looked closer and it was Mischa Barton. No entourage or star antics - just Mischa enjoying a U2 concert. In real life she is very tall and skinny, and basically flawless.

After the show we went to an Irish pub (called something I can't pronounce). Oddly enough, EVERYONE in there had Irish accents. I guess this threw me off guard because in DC I never encounter real Irish folks at the 4 P's or Dublins. Actually, now that I think about it half of those people were probably faking their accents, but they were doing a damn good job. Or maybe it was the numerous rounds of Stella and Hoegaarden getting to me. Also, it's always weird for a black person to go into an Irish bar. Irish bars are just so...so....white. Like everyone's all about Celtic pride and Anglo-Saxon shit. I couldn't be further from that!

It was fun being in NYC and I stayed with friends in Brooklyn. Brooklyn was exactly how I imagined it - lots of Italians mixed in with great bagel shops and brownstones. However, it rained the whole time and I spent the weekend with napped up hair and soiled jeans. Yes soiled, because one cannot escape the NYC street sludge that accumulates on your shoes and pants leg (I effectively ruined my tan,orange, and blue pumas :( ). The city lost some of its allure this weekend. I've always wanted to live there and be in the city trenches day in and day out. And working in PR makes me want to jump into the NYC PR trenches even more. But when I got back into DC and saw the Capitol building against the skyline, I realized that I HEART DC and take full pride in saying I am from here.

Anyway, if anyone can see U2 when they do 2 shows here next week, I highly recommend it. The show is well worth the money and who knows when they will go on tour again???

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

MM is going tonight and trying to scalp a ticket. He can't stay away.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Can we officially say we hate you? Not really, but...WOW. What a night. I am a tad green, and not from the pub. I would have loved to see that show. They are the best.

12:58 PM  
Blogger sethro said...

I am officially jealous. But only until December, when U2 comes to Charlotte. That said, I doubt Mary J will be there, and that makes me sad because the lady can blow.

That said, what I really want to know is, where, o' where, can I get my hands on some tan, orange, and blue Pumas?

10:35 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

i think i bought the pumas at a foot action or similar store. i might take a pic of them when i get home and post it. they're pretty hot....or the were hot until the sludge got to them.

10:04 AM  
Blogger sethro said...

Oh puh-leeze, VP, post a pic. I hesitate to say that my shoe collection would be complete, but it would not be complete without a pair.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Sounds great. I saw U2 eons ago at RFK. It was amazing. Also, I HEART "One" big time. It has a lot of history for me.

Anyway, if you wanna see real Irish lads at an Irish bar, go to Nanny's in Cleveland Park. An Irish guy owns the place and his (and my) friend Conor (who briefly appeared in The Commitments) plays there many nights a week. Another Irish friend, Gavin (who reminds me of Colin Farrell), can be found slouched over the bar most nights... ;)

2:53 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

gavin - hot name

colin ferrell look alike - hot prospect

me and this gavin fella - hot

we shall see about arranging some kind of encounter....

4:15 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

sethro - hold your horsies! i've been at work all day. and i'm going to a concert tonight. i will try to post a pic soon :)

4:16 PM  
Blogger Miss Penny Lane said...

Calm down, ladies....he is married back in Ireland (that won't stop him, though), and he is a drunk. I wouldn't sic him on ya as more than a friend. Trust me. One nighter--yes. Relationship--no. Chase, if you come out to the CPMC thing tonight, we can meander down there and you can meet him...

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home