Monday, December 12, 2005

Movies To Talk About

I believe it's been a long time since there were so many good movies all coming out at once. I fear I may go broke trying to view all of them before the Oscars (which I watch religiously every year). The National Board of Review has just released it's list of best of 2005:

NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW

BEST PICTURE: GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK
BEST DIRECTOR: ANG LEE (BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN)

NBR BEST TEN FILMS OF 2005
Brokeback Mountain - really, really, really want to see this; the most important thing I hope people take away from this is that it's a LOVE story, regardless of the sex of who is falling in love

Capote - Phillip Seymour Hoffman is supposed to be amazing and a shoe-in for the Oscar

Crash - very good movie and great ensemble cast

Good Night, And Good Luck - really want to see this and I bet Clooney gets tons of awards

History of Violence - heard mixed things about this one; the previews didn't get me excited

Match Point - supposedly the best Woody Allen movie in 10 yrs

Memoirs of a Geisha - a MUST see; I fell in love with the book years ago and I heart the director Rob Marshall (Chicago)

Munich - director Spielberg is being very low-key about this one; the subject matter about the Israeli athletes taken hostage is obviously serious, but the movie is apparently a little too austere

Syriana - would like to see this one because a friend saw it and thought it was decent

Walk the Line - saw this movie and loved it; Phoenix should be nominated based on his singing alone

I really wish comedies got more credit. I still think Wedding Crashers was one of the best movies of 2005!

3 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I want to see all of those movies.

Will you be my date to one DCPD? ;)

4:53 PM  
Blogger Stef said...

Hey - I'm new to your blog, and I can't resist talking about movies... :-)

I've seen Good Night and Good Luck, Capote, Crash, History of Violence, Syriana, and Walk the Line. Looks like I only have a few more to go! All the ones I've seen have been really good, but my friends and I had very mixed feelings about A History of Violence. Phillip Seymour Hoffman really is amazing, Syriana is one of the smartest movies I've ever seen, George Clooney is turning out to be a very interesting director, and both Joaquin and Reese were 100% appealing as Johnny and June Cash. Crash took my breath away.

And I agree with you on Wedding Crashers - I saw it twice in the theater in one week!

6:21 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

welcome stef!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home