Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Unfortunate, Obnoxious Event(s)

First off, I had a pretty great weekend. Ate at Bertucci's (unfortunately I went to the A-Town location so I was not able to capitalize on KOB's hookup), had a relaxing pedi and massage at Sugar House, watched the Steelers win (guilty fan by association) and saw two movies. Cube, you'll be happy to know that I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. I thought the movie's pace was a little slow, but Heath Ledger's performance floored me. I also saw Syriana, which had another great performance, given by George Clooney. The movie basically reinforced what I already knew about the U.S.'s shady involvement with control of oil resources in the Middle East, but I won't go into all of that right now.

Two recent events of the last two days have me kinda pissed off. Both involve my appointments for job interviews. First, I had a job interview scheduled on Monday morning for a large firm that I really really want to work for. The location is awesome, I would make more money, and the experience I would garner is appealing. So Sunday night I went to bed right after Grey's Anatomy and images of Dr. McDreamy dancing in my head. Actually, the channel was on TNT when I finally dozed off around 11:15. I'm sleeping and am then awakened by loud banging on my front door. Because I'm half asleep I assume it's Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte being little bitches (I Love Trouble was on the TV). Then I wake up and realize, yes there is someone at my front door. The clock reads 2:36AM. Great. I thought it was my roommate possibly locked out, so I throw on some clothes and open the door to be greeted by three Arlington County cops. Great.

The officer asks, "Do you know an Andrew Kepich and does he live here?" I reply, "No he does not live here. I think he lived here before me, but we still get tons of his mail." The officer replies, "Oh so he doesn't live here?" I reply again, "No." The officer asks me how long I've lived here and I take a second to remember when I moved in because I'm still half asleep. The other officers chuckle and say, "I know it's late." NO SHIT MOTHERFUCKERS. YOU WAKE ME UP AT GODDAMN 2:36 AM AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS CHUCKLE??? YOU INCONSIDERATE ASSHOLES.

So then the officers tell me that if I see or hear from Andrew to call them. Obviously he has done something illegal, and the fact he hasn't changed his address in a year says he's hiding from someone. But hey, guess what? I DON'T FUCKING KNOW ANDREW KEPICH. IF I DO SEE HIM I WILL DROPKICK HIM FOR NOT CHANGING HIS ADDRESS, YELL AT HIM FOR MAKING US SORT THROUGH HIS BILLS WE RECEIVE, AND THEN CALL THE COPS. If anyone knows an Andrew Kepich please warn him what's coming his way.

This unfortunate, obnoxious event happened the morning before my important interview, and although I got there on time I wasn't well rested. I think it went OK....

Cut to this morning. I have an interview downtown on K St with a communications hiring agency that saw my resume online. The interview was scheduled for 8AM, so that I could be back at work by 9. I even got a confirmation email last week for this. I get up at freaking 6:30AM to get ready and drive over there. I arrive early, park my car in a garage and take my time. Upon entering the office I tell the receptionist I have an appointment at 8AM with "Jessica." She lookes confused and checks the calendar to find that my name is not on there. But she doesn't say that "Jessica" isn't there yet. She simply says, "Well, have a seat in the conference room." She does not offer coffee or water. I sit in the room for 15 minutes before I go up to the receptionist and ask for an update. She replies, "Oh "Jessica" isn't here yet. I thought you wanted to wait." Um no, I thought you were going in the back to get "Jessica" because you never said she wasn't there and why would I want to sit around and wait for an undetermined length of time?!?! So I leave all the documents I brought with the receptionist (which might have been a bad idea know that I think about it) and left. I got caught in traffic getting out of D.C. and was 6 minutes late for work. And I wasted $6 on a parking garage. Hmm, and the number of documents I brought was 6. See a pattern here? 666. Hmmm, perhaps "Jessica" is the devil... haha. Actually, she's either unprofessional or dealing with her own obnoxious events.

I hope everyone else's week is free of unfortunate, obnoxious events.


UPDATE, 11:22AM: I just received a reply email from "Jessica."


VP of Dior (or my real name, whatev),

My apologies for not being here at our scheduled time. I have a ton going on these days, so I probably forgot our meeting.

No worries though, I'd be able to talk via phone tomorrow. How about 9:00am? I'll plan on calling you on your cell phone at that time.

Thanks so much for your understanding,
"Jessica"

OK, the least she could have done is make up a lame excuse, like her dog got hit by a car or she had cops banging on her door late at night. But to say that you have a ton going on and you "probably forgot" is unacceptable. I have a ton going on too! I seriously doubt the level of her professionalism. To use one of my fave phrases, "What kind of shoddy estabblishment are you running here?"

UPDATE #2, 12:59PM: I Googled Andrew Kepich hoping to find some info. This looks like a possible lead, although it says his address is in Waldorf, MD. He might be an immigrant because his arrest was for "no working permit."


11 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

She has no excuse. You are harboring a known criminal and losing sleep because of it, yet you remain professional about scheduled appointments.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Oh I hate that shit! A Citibank rep just flaked on me the other day and no-showed our refinance appointment. To say I was livid is an understatement.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Cail said...

Hahaha-- I actually had an interview at a communications staffing agency on K Street today with a girl named Jessica. Eerie coincidence?

2:54 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

phil - harboring criminals is my bag.

marci - i understand. i also understand that they have lives too, but give me a break!

chica - the first interview went fairly well. i'm anxious to hear back from them.

cail - well her real name was not jessica, but i think there was someone there actually named jessica...oops.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Sparklebot said...

I'm still shocked that she didn't at least make up an excuse. I mean, at the very least owning up to forgetting--but saying she "probably forgot" is so insulting.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Go to Zabasearch.com and Andrew Kepich yourself to death. He's all over the place.

Glad you saw Brokeback Mountain. I saw Syriana as well, which I really enjoyed, but back to back with Munich which equalled overdose.

I had a doctor's appointment last week. I even had the original sheet of paper where I wrote down the date and time. Drive through rush hour to get to her office and her ditzy reception tells me, "Oops. We made a mistake. We have you down for FEBRUARY," which I had to agree to take or wait until April, her next opening. Being somewhat efficient and organized myself, this kind of crap drives me nuts. Oops. Shaking head.

I wouldn't write off the job due to that ditz Jessica, and trust me, you WILL hear back from Cookie on the name thing.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I'm laughing because...

1. I feel your pain. That could happen to me.

2. Why does that shit happen to you?

3. Email me and share about the job interviews...since you know we're both PR chicas!

5:32 PM  
Blogger NubianTemptres43 said...

from a former PR chica and the daughter of a wonderful PR goddess, don't waste your time waiting on the wack ass firm on K -- it took me six months and 5 staffing firms (none of which helped me in ANY way) to find a job. also, let me know if you need help or leads, although i didn't get too far, i have a lot of leads that i couldn't utilize -- nepotism is frowned upon for some reason . . .

anyway, good luck with your search! don't let the "signs" mess with your head.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Madame Mansour said...

That motha fucka needs to die...both of them. We should have a blogger lunch sometime by the way.

luv, OBS

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Movies dont reinforce facts, they are propoganda tools, just like army commercials :) It's someones opinion played out for you to see. But syriana was a great movie. Did you figure out who the guy on the doorstep was? It threw us for a loop. Also, the diner that george clooney did all the threatening in, its the Sip and Bite diner in baltimore, my dad's friends own it. The movie theater is RC Eastpoint 10 at Eastpoint Mall in baltimore, 10 minutes from my childhood home, FREAKY. It's kind of weird seeing that theater onscreen knowing what I've done there.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Siryn said...

That blew chunks (Andrew Kepich, and "Jessica."

I agree with the other poster, don't come off with a 'tude about the missed meeting when "Jessica" calls. At least she was honest about why she flaked out. Graciousness could go a long way.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home