Thursday, January 05, 2006

Viva Le Camel Lights! - DC's Smoking Ban

First, the DC Council approved 11-1 a smoking ban for all DC restaurants and bars to fully take affect in 2007. Read the story here: Washington Post.

It looks as if Mayor Williams will veto the vote, taking into consideration the loss of revenue that many restaurants and bars will undoubtedly face at the onset of this ban. On one hand, using NYC as an example shows that nightlife will still soldier on and drunk college kids will still clamor for the 4 beers and 4 shots for $10 at Tom Toms. On the other hand, why is DC always trying to be like NYC?? We are a completely different vibe, full of northern know it all and southern smile to your face-rip you apart later charm. We will never be NYC, with it's exclusive clubs, inventive fashion and killer shopping.

I am not a smoker but I realize that smoky bars are part of the nightlife. Bars are for people who drink, smoke, and just plain savor things that are bad for them. Does it mean that bars will be less fun without the smoke? Of course not. Will DC smokers cross "the bridge" into VA to enjoy our smoky bars? Eh, probably not (but wouldn't it be great to call them Bridgers?!?). Will it make my bar experience more fragrant? Perhaps. But I really don't think a smoking ban needs to pushed upon the citizens of the DC metro area.

5 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

whaaaa? Drinking is bad for me? Rut roh.

I don't care for the ban. I may not like the fact that I smell like smoke after coming in from a night out, but hey - that's what you subject yourself to when you hit the bars. I just have to do laundry sooner is all. And shower.

11:04 AM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

I'm probably going to be playing a lot of stick at CarPool.

Loved: "smile to your face-rip you apart later charm."

12:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Homie, I was born and raised in Arlington and D.C.and oddly enough have moved to Long Island. D.C. is noteworthy in itself and I have to agree with you as it's a whole different game in N.Y. The people are different, the air is different. I miss home. Happy New Year!

11:43 PM  
Blogger sethro said...

Thank God for North Carolina's cash crop being tobacco. That shit would never fly here.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Well I agree. Taking smoking out of the drinking equation is entirely inappropriate. If you think second hand smoke kills, walk by me in the dead of winter when I'm shivering outside getting my nicotine fix.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home