Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What's Going Around

Restaurant Week - Round 1: Last night I went to a highly anticipated dinner at Galileo. I have wanted to eat there for years, and I figured the special $30.00 pre fixe meal was a great opportunity. Well, I was very disappointed. The service was good, but the food lacked imagination and heat. Literally temperature heat, people. All three of us at the table mentioned that our food came out lukewarm. Maybe this is how Roberto Donna likes it? Anyway, the first course was ravioli stuffed with butternut squash and ricotta, in a butternut squash sauce. It was so-so. Would have been better if it WAS HOT. Second course was sea bass over risotto. The glaze on the sea bass left a weird after-taste and the portion was very small. The pinot grigio I paired with it also left an unpleasant after-taste. My friends rabbit dish was quite good, but again lukewarm. The third course was dessert, and my apple gelee was nothing more than a pastry puff with a dollop of ice cream on it with a touch of shaved apple. Nothing special. Overall Galileo score: C. I can honestly say I've had much better Italian (in Rome and Florence, as well as in America) for cheaper.

I'm going to 1789 on Friday with Malibu Ken for a romantic dinner. I am very much looking forward to this, and we've already planned to get all purdied up to comply with the dress code. I've heard nothing but good things about the food, and for $30.00 it's a steal!

**************************


I guess the flu is spreading faster than invading Vikings. I have avoided it thus far, but it's inevitable because people in my office have had it and I'm sure my recent usage of the copier (including touching all the buttons to adjust brightness) will be my death knoll. Even this little lady has the flu. Hopefully I won't get it this season.

But you know what else is spreading around? The Love - that wonderful little bug - like in a really, really big pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window. I've got it. She's got it, as well as she, and this is the kind of bug you wish the whole world could catch (sorry to go all Woodstock circa 1960s).

It's really scary to be falling in love with someone, especially for me because I honestly thought I would never get over THE ex from college. When I met Malibu Ken I never imagined that we would connect on a deeper level, and that I would take my time to get to know him. It's even more scary to think that we haven't even touched upon the possibilities in front of us. My heart was an empty room and then MK moved all his furniture in. And it all fits so nicely :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I thought I had the love bug, but now I'm not so sure...

and as for the flu I thought I had it too, but for now I seem to be cured...

Let me know how 1789 is!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I have both the flu AND the love bug. It's annoying. Well, the former, anyway. ;)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Enjoy your romantic date...and the love bug can be a very fun bug. I've had it for almost 2 years now hehe

We definately need to catch up. Life is too much right now.....I will be glad to see you next Weds. let's pick a date on Weds...maybe the following weekend?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I feel MUCH better now, thanks, Doll.

I'm over the flu and the love bug... but we'll see for how long on the latter. ;)

9:58 AM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

When did you have to call for reservations at 1789?? I called in yesterday and they were booked through Monday . . . :-|

10:35 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

I had a case of Falcon Fever this football season, but it went away.

10:45 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

AM - time will tell...

RC - double bugs!

Sharky - I will be there the 18th. We can then have "our people" contact each other to schedule our date.

Kathryn - glad you are feeling better!

AU - I'm a complete nerd and called for a reservation on Dec. 26 when I found out about restaurant week. The only time they had was freakin 10:15 PM, but I took it anyway.

Phil - Sorry about Vick, he just wasn't on point this season. I forgot to mention that everyone here has Skins fever! Well at least I do. Saturday is do or die vs. the Seahags. FIGHT FOR OLD D.C.

11:56 AM  
Blogger B and T Crowd said...

I went to Galileo a few months ago after hearing lots of great things about it. For the price, I was not impressed with the food. I'm staying with Chef Geoff's as my safe choice for a nice meal.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Cail said...

Awww, cute last sentence of your post! Thanks for your comment on my blog earlier today-- if you know anyone who needs an email marketing/communications pro, send 'em my way!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Siryn said...

Enjoy the love! Send some of that bug my way...

Boo, flu...!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home