Thursday, February 16, 2006

Klassy Georgetown

Yesterday I went to my 3rd job interview for a firm in Georgetown. The interview went well and I think I would enjoy the people - except there are no perks. Is it wrong to heavily consider the benefits of the job? This job offers no dental, no parking, no metro reimbursement, and no gym (I know for a fact that other jobs offer some of these perks). So I guess if I take this job I will be toothless, fat, and Metro Bus bound. Gee, sounds great. But seriously if I get the second interview or the job I would probably take it.

After the interview I did a little shopping in G-Town. What is it about that section of town that reeks of utter snobbery? Why did I go into 3 stores and not receive any good customer service with the exception of the knowledgable gay guy at Sephora? The 19 year olds working at Urban Outfitters especially bothered me. Listen, I've worked in retail before and yes it sucks. And yes I know that you see thousands of shoppers in a week because it's a tourist/hipster trap. But that does not mean I will take kindly to your lack of help. The only thing keeping me there was the half off sale. I also noticed that people who shop at Urban are obnoxious and inconsiderate - for someone like myself who isn't those things this really bothered me. M.A.C. was also a bust. It is my conclusion that places like G-Town that try to scream classy are in fact the most classless places™. I'm going to start a list of classless places™ in D.C. and points beyond that need to be called out (I'm glaring at you Eighteenth St. Lounge).


Speaking of classy, did anyone see Iman on Project Runway last night? She was a guest judge and agreed to wear the winning designers dress. Daniel won again (big surprise) and all the dresses were pretty boring (big surprise). I've been very disappointed in this season and the designer's lack of creativity (with the exception of the week they had to take a photo of something to inspire them). None of the outfits could be in Vogue or WWD.

***Spoiler Alert** - Last week was Fashion Week and 4 designers from Project runway showed collections. They let 4 show to avoid giving away who were the final three. You can view photos of the collections here: New York Metro . I think the final collections turned out well...

5 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

Truth is, Georgetown has come WAY down in it's status, over the years. A lot of the more exclusive little chi chi shops have gone the way of the dodo, but I know what you mean regarding service.

As for the job thing, the other perks you can take or leave, but the big decision maker, in my mind, is "parking," because if you drive and pay, that could cost you in lot fees, and you can't leave your car on the street for that long of a time, during the day. No Metro nearby (not really),and the bus on a day to day basis? I don't think so. They won't factor parking in, huh? That would be the deal make or break for me. You can always pay your own gym fees and dental.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so true - the classless point. It's almost laughable. You go in somewhere, and people think they're all that.

Good luck on the job front!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I know exactly what you mean about G'town. I even the playing field by strutting even more than I usually do. ;)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Tenacious T said...

Love the gay cosmetics guys! Why are they always the best? I won't stop by our M.A.C. unless my guy is there to paint me and pamper me and tell me I'm beautiful.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Agree agree agree with all. :)

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home