Monday, February 27, 2006

Motown Philly Back Again


Independence Hall - Philadelphia, PA
I hope everyone had a great weekend because mine was fabulous. In a last minute executive decision I decided to join my Mom in Philadelphia, PA for Saturday and Sunday. My Mom was attending a conference and staying at The Ritz-Carlton. Yes. Free room at the Ritz. Yes.
I had never been to Philly and in the short time I was there I enjoyed myself a lot. First I met my Mom in our swank hotel room. Nothing says classy like a Ritz-Carlton plush robe:




From there we went to El Vez restaurant (named after the Mexican Elvis impersonator). Basically this place was like El Charro for the "jet-set". Over trendy and crowded, but it was worth it to see my Mom get drunk off of 2 strong margaritas.

Next I took Mom out to Zanzibar Blue, a chic little jazz bar. But Mumsy was a little tipsy and I was planning on meeting a friend from college later. I dropped El Drunko Mom off and headed out for a fun night of drinking.

The next day we got up early to do the touristy stuff. When I'm in a new city I like to pack lots of sites into one day. We only had limited time so we walked from our hotel to the Liberty Bell (it was a hell of a walk in 20 degree weather).

First, there is a security entrance to enter the building that houses the bell. The security checkpoint was worse than an effing international airport. All the tourists who had mounds of clothes on complete with fanny packs had to take all of it off and send through a conveyor belt. The whole operation was very inefficient.

The Liberty Bell is now housed in a glass building facing Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed. It was pretty cool being in the exact location where the infancy of the United States of America began.

From the Liberty Bell we cabbed it over to the Philadelphia Museum of Arts. I was pleased that there was a collection by Van Gogh that included one of my favorite paintings "Sunflowers":

But of course the real reason for the museum visit was for the Rocky steps : ) The fruits of my weekend adventures culminated here. I wish I had more time in Philly but I'll be sure to return soon (I gots to get a Pat's cheesesteak!).


ADDRIAANNNNNEEEEEEE!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbait said...

I am so glad you had a great time, definately glad that you went. I love Philly...and of course Boyz II Men! :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Any town tastes good on a Ritz...hotel that is. ;)

2:12 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

ok... I don't see anything about "coolin on South Street" on there.


jet black benz, plenty of friends, and all the philly steaks you can eat...

2:28 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

66 - there wasn't enough time to chill on south street or have cheesesteak :( that's why i must return soon!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home