Tuesday, February 21, 2006

What I Didn't Do on My Day Off

I did not talk to Malibu Ken at all yesterday. It may seem childish or cowardly but let me explain. I needed a Me Day. A day where I wake up in my own bed, take my time getting ready and do something new. He left for a business trip anyway and I had the day off so yesterday was perfect for a Me Day.

I woke up around 11AM and started some house cleaning. I made plans to meet my friends at the National Gallery of Art to take in the Cezanne in Provence exhibit. I metr-hoed in to the Smithsonian and had a nice afternoon of museums. The Mall and the Cezanne exhibit was mad crowded on account of the 3-day weekend and the reasonable weather. From there we headed over to the Museum of Natural History to see me all time fave Gems and Minerals exhibit. Any day that I can see the Hope Diamond is a good day :)

Next was a quick stop for a respite at Teasim. I was very impressed by the Chai and cookie I had. I was really surprised at the HUGE cup the tea was served in. The first thing I said was, "Um excuse me. There seems to be a mistake. I believe I ordered the large chai." :)

The chai energized me for the rest of the afternoon to run some errands and then go to dance class. I've been meaning to do a post about my experiences at DC Dance Collective (where I was spotted by another blogger!). I've always loved dancing - whether it's jazz, modern, hip-hop, salsa, etc. But jazz is where I've always had the most fun and my body responds quite well to its demands. When I was taking jazz and modern in college I was in the best shape so I figured continuing classes would be kick my ass into shape. The classes have been enjoyable and I'll write about this in more detail in a later post.

After dance class I went home and prepared myself for a nice evening alone. I hadn't spoken to MK all day. We aren't one of those couples who is on the phone constantly anyway. So I sat down for a delectable repast consisting of Taco Bell and a glass of California Pinot Noir. I tuned into The Bachelor and The Gauntlet II. At 10:30 MK called and I didn't answer. It was my plan all day not to answer and I stuck to that goal. I think I needed some space and time to approach what to do next. I will probably talk to him tonight when he calls and put my best practices foward. I will remain calm and just try to have a normal conversation. I think the Me Day helped me to refocus and recenter myself - which is key to being in a relationship. As they say, "You can't love someone else until you learn to love yourself." ..... Wait, or did I hear Dr. Phil say that in a Match.com commercial? I watch too much TV :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love 'Me' time, it's the best, and I agree, it really helps you recenter and stay independent.

Have you ever taken the hip-hop classes at DCDC? And, if so, do they allow big awkward adults in there? :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

I am having a me afterwork day for me today. It's so important to do that.

I think you're doing the right thing. Most importantly, you are comfortable. And you never know, he might come back and surprise you, he's had a day to reflect as well.

Thinking of you!

3:15 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

I really hate it when Dr. Phil is right, but "me" time is so good for everyone. Enjoy!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Mmmm Chai

See you tomorrow lover????

9:29 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

mappyb - the hip-hop class at 8:30PM is for adults! and yes there are people of all levels, from 2 left feet to wannabe justin timberlakes. you should try it. or just come and sit in!

sharky - enjoy your Me Day

ej - agree

AM - see you tomorrow and bring your burkha ;)

9:35 PM  
Blogger La'Tina said...

We need to talk about DC Dance Collective!!! I am thinking of taking a Samba class in March with some Brazillian embassy thang!!!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home