Friday, March 03, 2006

Good Music and Fuggings of Dire Proportions

I had a longer post but Blogger and my IP had a battle and Blogger won.

Take 2.

Coldplay and Fiona Apple last night. Excellent. Fiona did a pretty short set and her voice sounded great. I really hoped that she would get pissed off mid way through and yell, "This world is bullshit!", and then storm off the stage. Alas, she was actually pretty humble.

After Fiona finished I called Kathryn and played "Spot the Blogger" from across the arena. Let's be real - it's not hard to spot a black girl at a Coldplay concert :)

While talking to Kathryn I also surveyed the general crowd and came to the conclusion that The Mischa Barton/Nicole Richies of the world are terrible fashion icons to young girls. The force of the fug was strong in there - one too many pairs of Uggs topped off with ill advised leggings, jean skirts, boots tucked into jeans, and ballet flats. When will the hipsters learn?!?!! WHEN?!!??!?

On to the highlight of the evening - Coldplay's inspired and enjoyable show. Overall I would say their energy was not lagging, despite drawing attention to the fact that they drank tequila the night before (yesterday was also Chris Martin's birthday). And for being on the second leg of a tour they were pretty fresh. The way Coldplay uses lights, live camera feeds and screen images to give a visual component to their songs is astonishing. It made me view the songs in a different way - a good way. My personal faves from the show were "Talk", "X & Y" and "Til Kingdom Come/Ring of Fire." Yep they played a Cash tune. Upon further research I discovered that "Til Kingdom Come" was written for Cash but he died before he could record it. So Coldplay recorded it in Cash's honor. That's what I like about this band - always aware of their roots and always committed to making music they enjoy. And Martin has a cute little 'fro too. :)



"X & Y"
I dive in at the deep end
She become my best friend
I wanna love you
but I don't know if I can
I know something is broken
and I'm trying to fix it
Trying to repair it anyway I can....

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

My old roommate went to Coldplay last week when they were here in Omaha, he said it was the best concert he's ever been to...

11:34 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

It was incredible. I didn't even care that it was almost the same set list as September.

11:38 AM  
Blogger NubianTemptres43 said...

LOVED IT!!! September was almost as good - or maybe sitting inside was better than sitting on the lawn in the cold. I should have gotten your number . . . i was the other black girl there :)

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home