Monday, April 24, 2006

Breaking Point?

OK, so I have been offered a job. I also am waiting to hear back today on another job. I accepted the first job with the hopes that if I get the other job I can just tell job #1 I've found something better. It's not my preferred method but it at least it ensures me a job. And no I'm not going to say where because it's still too early to be jinxing myself :)

So last Friday I told my employer that I wanted to start my new job on May 1. My last day would be this Friday, thus only giving my employer 1 week. At first I felt bad about giving such short notice, but after talking to my boss just now I can tell you why I no longer feel bad:

1. He asked me if me leaving was an issue of money. Well....DUH MUTHEREFFER! Then he asked why I didn't come ask for a review. How dare you try to spin this around on me and say that because I did not come to you to ask for a raise this is my fault. The last time I got a raise it was a measley amount and I know your cheap asses will not offer me what I will be making elsewhere.

2. I inquired whether my saved up time-off could be reimbursed to me on my final paycheck. The answer: A big fat no. Well, clearly you are forcing me to call in "sick" the rest of the week to use my days.

3. My employer wants me to stay through the first week of May because they need my help wrapping up projects. Um, yeah that would be nice of me and all, but where is the incentive to stay? Health coverage that doesn't cover birth control?? Old co-workers??? Boring clients? Nope. And I would be losing out on a week's worth of higher wages. Don't think so.

4. According to Oprah's "Debt Diet" increasing your salary is a simple step to financial integrity. And you know I always listen to Oprah.


So I don't feel bad if I don't agree to stay longer than this Friday. I want out. I don't like to burn bridges, and it would be great to use my supervisor as a reference, but if I leave them hanging and it reflects poorly on me than so be it - right???

7 Comments:

Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Congratulations on the new job(s?)! Our parents lied to us... quitting is AWESOME.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Michelle at Hey Love Designs said...

Good luck with the new job!!!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Holla...you know I support you!

2:16 PM  
Blogger NubianTemptres43 said...

congrats on the J-O-B, boo!

business is business, you gotta go, you gotta leave and he made it pretty easy for you to leave talking noise about you not asking for a review - puleez!

good for you!

4:54 PM  
Blogger O-FACE said...

Congrats on the job-- I'm in the market as well. Don't go out like a asshole though, keep playing it cool because you never know if your rat fink boss shows up at another job or you need them for a positive reference.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Sharkbait said...

Yay for youuu!!!

You gotta do what you gotta do and I am very close to being in the same boat as you are.

It's not always easy, but it's what you gotta do. I know you will figure it out!

7:05 AM  
Blogger La'Tina said...

I plan to do the same thing with my job, one week bitches, one weeeekkkkk!!!

Congrats!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home