Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hurricane Katrina - Sadness Revisited

This article makes me SOO ANGRY:

CNN - "Katrina autopsy: Police shot mentally disabled man in back" -
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/22/katrina.shotinback/index.html


"Clearly he was shot from behind," said famed New York pathologist Dr. Michael Baden, who examined the body for the family's lawyer. (Watch where the man died and details of the autopsy -- 5:04)

A prosecutor said the case will go before a grand jury soon and acknowledged the investigation includes the possibility of police wrong-doing.

Ronald Madison, 40, was mentally disabled and lived at home with his mother. He had no criminal record. He was shot when police responded to a report of gunfire on a bridge over the flooded Industrial Canal on Sunday, September 4, six days after Katrina hit New Orleans last year.


Where is the outrage? This man was mentally disabled and probably in a state of distress after Hurricane Katrina devasted New Orleans. These officers shot him down like he was a limp dog.

The fact he was running away from the cops and that his brother contends no one had a gun, points the finger at overzealous New Orleans cops.

I understand that in the days following Hurricane Katrina, there was massive confusion among the police force and widespread disserations among the ranks. The police force that remained was on edge and eager to try to restore any sense of power.

But shooting a man in the back, 5 TIMES, and then trying to explain that he "threatened" the officers does not fly.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not one to always play the race card, but it angers me that New Orleans police had no regard for this black man's life. Do you really think that if a 40 year old white man was running they would have shot him in the back?? I believe the answer is no. I have no idea if the police officer who fired the fatal shots was black or white. It doesn't really matter - black people can be negatively prejudiced towards other blacks too.

Ronald Madison's brother was a 25 year career Federal Express employee. So you can throw out the "lower class equates to race" issue. He is not a thug, but all the police saw was a black man who was in the same area where gunshots were fired. So of course he must be connected to the incident right? I guess it would make too much sense to investigate and secure the scene BEFORE firing into the backs of innocent people right???

If you all want to accuse me of making it a race issue when it really isn't - fine. Because I will defend my statements. I guess if Ronald Madison was a 30 something bug-eyed white woman who went missing days before her impending nuptials we would all care.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Is this story just now coming out? That could be an explanation for the lack of uproar.

I did notice they had Dr. Baden doing the autopsy, the same guy who is on HBO's "Autopsy", one of the coolest shows on TV...and when that happens, someone is going down.

The DA said they were investigating possible homicide charges, so they aren't exactly sweeping it under the rug...yet.

That said, I can't wait for the day that Jennifer Wilbanks is shot in the back on a bridge...any bridge.

1:57 PM  
Blogger O-FACE said...

That said, I can't wait for the day that Jennifer Wilbanks is shot in the back on a bridge...any bridge

************************
Un-necessary, but still f-ing funny.

Yeah I saw that story about the guy who got "EXECUTED" on the bridge. They didn't even have weapons...

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you on this. That article made me tear up. I don't think you're playing the race card on this either. For what it's worth, I agree with you. And I'm white. It's disgusting what went on there. Not only this, but the hospital employees that killed all the elderly patients too. It's all disgusting how people acted. And Nagin is still Mayor. WTF?!?!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home