Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Goodbye to Carpool

I might be the last person to hear about this (thankfully Nubian Temptress forwarded the story to me). Carpool, a great hangout on Fairfax Dr in Arlington is getting torn down for yet another new, shoddly built over-priced apartment building:

http://washington.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2006/06/05/story7.html

Until last Saturday I lived on N Quincy St and enjoyed being able to walk to Carpool (especially when Rocklands BBQ was in-house). Good vibe, outdoor patio and darts. Definitely something different than the banal Clarendon Ballroom.

And when I was looking at places to live I researched the local apartment complexes on my street and around Ballston. Most of them were small sq footage, over-priced and seemingly constructed overnight.

With this newest addition, Dittmar will be competing with The DonoHOES for most yuppie-fied apartment complex.*

Soon there will be only apartment buildings in Arlington, stacked on top of one another, and no bars/retail/shops/parks to speak of.

Maybe it's just my natural dislike for apartment buildings that led me to decide to again live in a house in Arlington. But honestly I can't imagine paying $1600 a month for a 600 sq ft space with walls as thin as a Gateway shipping box.

Yes there is the convenience of the metro but as I've learned this week, not being 100 ft from the metro is not the end of the world. If you don't have a car it's a little trickier situation, but why have a car to only have it sit in the garage of your complex and get scratched by "Uber-Yuppie's" Audi A6???

So long live Carpool. I will indeed continue to frequent it until the very end.




*Jeep Cherokee and Dave Matthews Band poster not included.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh that is annoying. I just started going there! I tell you those condos in Ballston are really starting to take over. First there was Dremo's, then Bob Peck's dealership, and now this. I wonder who's next on the list?

12:14 PM  
Blogger O-FACE said...

I love the ability to listen in on my neighbors sex acts in the middle of the night. I mean, who doesn't wanna pay 1200 for a 500 square ft apt that conducts noise and allows most of my heat to escape outside....Thats not bad, thats progress......

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

Damn shame. One of the few DC bars I liked. Or even went to.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home