Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pay It Forward

I've been working out a lot and trying to get in better shape. I've lost 5 pounds so far due to lots of hours logged at "Casa de Short Shorts" aka Ballston Gold's Gym. I swear I've never seen so many girls wear makeup while working out. And it seems some of the girls there are HATERS and give everyone dirty looks.... but for the most part I find the people there OK. Anyway, Monday night at the gym I was putting my hair back with a hair tie when horror of horrors the hair tie snapped. I normally wear 2-3 on my wrist but had no such luxury that day. I figured I could just seek one out in the ladies locker room. So I politely asked girl after girl if she could offer up a hair tie. NO ONE had an extra hair tie. At this point I was getting frantic. The next girl I asked was on her way out the door and very sympathetic. Although she did not have an extra hair tie she offered up what was at that time holding her hair back - a big scrunchie.

And she was sweaty from working out so I'm sure the scrunchie was sweaty as well. God bless her for being so generous but I had to decline her offer. I'm not one to work out with my hair down and I honestly don't know how anyone could, but I had to stick to the fashion over function edict. So I approached the info desk at the entrance and inquired about a rubber band. Apparently they don't keep rubber bands in stock there, further providing evidence to my mounting case that the Gold's front desk staffers are useless.

Then there was a break in the dark clouds of hair despair. I asked a woman going up the stairs to the locker room if she had a hair tie and she happened to have an extra one securing her wallet, but she was able to part with it and give it to me. Disaster avoided. I know it's a bit melodramatic but I think I would have had to go home if I hadn't found a hair tie. Anyway, from now on I'm keeping an extra stash of hair ties in my car so that this won't happen to anyone else. That's called paying it forward everyone (just not with scrunchies...).

9 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

I know exactly what you mean about our gym, girl. I WORK there - it is a source of income for me - and I never, ever wear makeup to work out. Grossness. But many ladies have no problem dressing to the nines, fake tans and all, just to work out and eye other people. Sick. Most aren't like that.

PS are you coming to spin? tomorrow at 7! I'll play your favorite songs...

10:18 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I just got my hair chopped last night and the guy cutting my hair went off on scrunchies. Then I said, "I shouldn't tell you this, but I tie my hair up with them at night in bed, and also use them at the gym." He wasn't as horrified as I thought, based on my rationale, that my hair breaks easily, etc. But he said his sister just recently showed up at a wedding with a bag of scrunchies, and showed them to me on his phone. Okay, mine don't look like that. I have two. Solid gray and solid black. No flowers. No flounces. No bows. But still, I know I'm in the wrong. I know I am. I just can't have broken hair!

11:05 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

kathryn - can't come tomorrow because i've got a date with MADONNA IN PHILLY!

VK - oh don't worry. the ass is still here. i'm doing plenty of squats and lunges to make it a little more firm ;)

velvet - i do sympathize with you. my hair breaks easily as well if i'm not careful with the ponytails. i might be willing to excuse the use of scrunchies behind closed doors and in the dark and only at night. it's too heinous for public viewing!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Oh, missing hair ties are DEFINITELY grounds for dumping a workout. I totally understand. Although I have been known to jury rig a ponytail holder out of pens and pencils...but this only works on long/longish hair.

Socks, too...forgotten socks will also get you a get-out-of-gym free card

11:43 AM  
Blogger GwenMarieDC said...

I didn't know you played at Ballston too! How fun, it's a little blogger work out haven! I skip prime evening hours for wee AM instead, but if I'd been there I would have happily given you a band! Congrats on the five pounds!

HEART

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would of left the gym too if I didn't have a hair tie. That's bad news. And that's really gross, a used sweaty scrunchie. Hehe. Nice of her to offer though!

And yes, scrunchies are for inside use only. Inside your own home. Too funny!

Another annoying old school hair flair piece? The Banana Clip.

Yeah, I said it. I should bring that back. Ewww...

12:25 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Thank god you didn't take the sweaty scrunchie...I don't know if we could have been friends anymore...

2:37 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Congrats on the five pounds. Yet another reason for not taking a sweaty scrunchy-- the damn things are so big it would have tipped the scales!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

All I could think of was Seinfeld. Two episodes: The toilet paper "none to spare," and Kramer's obsession with the black velvet scrunchie.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home