Thursday, July 13, 2006

"We'll Have Her In Stilettos In No Time"

Did everyone else watch Project Runway 3 last night? The cast appears to be very talented and although the first challenge was a little cliche, the designs produced were good. Most of the contestants' designs have a polish to them that I think has been missing in other seasons. I won't give too much away but here are some of my fave contestant breakdowns:

Keith - A menswear designer who has never really made women's clothing. He is clearly talented and I believe can drape the shit out of just about anything (including a duvet cover).
Character Drawback: He is completely smarmy.
Could be a doppleganger for what celebrity?: A smarmy Jude Law

Vincent - A mad-scientist when it comes to designs, he is a fashion industry veteran who had his own line in the 80's. Sadly it appears his design ideas are also from the 80's.
Character Drawback: He's a little too wacky. He possibly scares small children.
Could be a doppleganger for what celebrity?: Woody Allen

Robert - He worked under Izaac Mizrahi and now designs outfits for Barbie at Mattel. I think that's a pretty awesome job to have but I guess after awhile it would get old making clothes for dolls and not real people. He loves fabrics and drag queen clothing. Honestly, who doesn't? But maybe the Barbie influence will make his designs a little too cutesy...
Character Drawback: I couldn't really find a drawback. I like him.
Could be a doppleganger for what celebrity?: Nick V. from season 2 of PR

Malan - Ohhh dearrrr. He is simmplly too mahhhhvelous for the show. This "British" actor/designer made it on to season 2 of PR but declined to come on. WHO TURNS DOWN TIM GUNN AND HEIDI KLUM? He is clearly delusional. And the accent. Uggg: "I reallyyyy would preferhh using betterrr fabriiiics." I really would prefer if you stopped the fake London accent and speak like the Jersey boy we know you really are.
Character Drawback: Pompous attitude. Bad greasy hair. Flair for the dramatic.
Could be a doppleganger for what celebrity?: Gary Numan circa 1985


So I don't have a clear cut winner in my mind just yet....but one thing was clear from last night's show - this season promises to be dramatic!

p.s. - Don't you just lurve Michael Kors? I would let him eat crackers in my bed!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharkbait said...

I loved Robert. Hands down I would have worn that dress with the bows in the back in a heartbeat.

And working with better fabrics-get used to it. Ugh. Hated him.

AND the purpose was to be innovative but the blue halter top dress out of a bedsheet won? How innovative is that? Really. It was nice, and well made, but not innovative.

I did enjoy the coffee filter dress-THAT was innovative!

10:19 AM  
Blogger JordanBaker said...

I loved the blue dress (and I love Keith--and I totally agree with the Jude Law comparison--swoon), but I agree that it wasn't the most innovative. I would've picked the coffee filter dress or Laura Bennett's rug and chandelier coat for the winner.

My favorite Robert line: "it's like Maria from West Side Story. (pause) If she'd had wall hangings."

11:08 AM  
Blogger Alison Santighian said...

I was skeptical about Keith with the menswear background - flashbacks to Emmett (ugh). But the navy dress was gor-GEOUS, and would be in my closet in a flash, if there was a way. Pairing with the big beads was brilliant, too.

6:22 PM  
Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

Maybe because I am blonde, but I always feel like there are too many characters at the beginning of a reality show to keep up with everyone.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home