Thursday, July 06, 2006

Wool Socks in July???

Malibu Ken has returned :) We had a lengthy discussion about the "traveling with cute female co-worker situation". He assured me nothing happened and he apologized for not being considerate enough to offer up details. Honestly I don't think it even crossed his mind that it would bother me. I think it was more a case of him being a usual dude and not thinking things through as opposed to him being a sneaky lying bastard. Well for his sake I hope it was the former :)

He did bring me some gifts from Europe including Parisian chocolates and a stuffed sheep from Dublin. Some of the other gifts were a bit, ummm random. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I think a sign that someone knows you well is the kind of gift they give you. So MK bought me a celtic cross necklace on a sterling silver chain from Shannon, Ireland. It's really nice but not something I would ever wear. I'm not Irish or Catholic and in fact I have never subscribed to Irish culture and history. Anyone who knows me knows that I don't even like Irish pubs. MK also brought back Irish socks made out of real-deal wool. Ummm, it's 90 degrees in DC right now. Again, I don't want to sound like a brat...Oh well I love that he thought of me while on the trip and he is just so sweet. Our reunion was sweet as well ;) And the 4th of July was spent eating too many hot dogs, drinking too many Stella Artois's, and seeing fireworks on the Mall. Hope everyone else's day off was great!

5 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Wait, what? You're not irish? You totally look it. [snicker]

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is kind of funny. I sympathize with you; my man went to Ecuador and came back with horse hair bracelets, and crazy aztec-ish dangling earrings, and other things that I would never wear. It is the thought that counts. I don't even really know you, but I'd bring you back some mini bottles of some local liquor! Hope your feet stay warm this weekend! :)
Perhaps you need some sangria to vent!

2:10 PM  
Blogger JordanBaker said...

I think Ireland is the capitol of random gifts. My uncle once brought me back a turtleneck sweater where the neck is as long as the arms (I guess you're supposed to roll it, but honestly, it would take so long that I might suffocate trying).

And you'll love the socks in the winter, even if they are kind of odd now.

2:40 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

Then again, I would argue that you're creative enough to think of some unique way to use said presents. Use the necklace to decorate a picture frame housing a picture of MK in Ireland?

Reminds me of one of the most romantic gifts I've ever heard of. While he was in Ireland after graduation, Lil Sis' boyfriend at the time travelled all around the Ring of Kerry for several weeks. He collected the most beautiful Irish wildflowers he could find throughout those weeks, pressed them safely in his travel books and then came home and made three small pictures for her from those wildflowers by gluing them creatively onto art paper and framing them. He said the framed flowers were to remind her that she was with him on every step of his journey. SWOON!

4:35 PM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

I-66- yep I am a poster child for Irish culture

mappyb - you have only met me once but you already know that i would have LOVED to get some french wine or small bottle of liqour. but sangria solves all problems right?

jordan - i can't wait until winter to prance around in those socks!

cookie - that is such a sweet story and totally romantic. if MK had made a photo collage out of dried flowers i would have cried.

maybe i can use the celtic cross as a wine charm???

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home