Thursday, August 17, 2006

Birthday Week, Part Deux and Restaurant Week

It's been a very busy bday week in VP land!

Monday - Went to Acadiana for lunch. Malibu Ken took me to Georgia Browns for the first restaurant Week** dinner stop. I received drop dead gorg flowers (I have a pic on my camera but a) can't find the cable to upload, boooo; b) even if I had the cable Blogger is preventing me from uploading pics). At dinner we sat near another woman who shared by bday.

Tuesday - Tons of bday wishes from friends and family continue to come in. Spoke with my Grandma on the phone who is too cute. She just got her first cell phone and was joking about sending text messages. I also went to Kathryn's Pilates class and got my ass kicked!

Wednesday - Stopped by Tapatinis for their new promo "Ladies Drink Free Wine from 5-9pm and Try to Avoid Getting Hit on by Smooth, Older Black Gentlemen" night. Well, that's what they should have called it. Actually, the free wine was legit so I will definitely be returning. Then I went a few blocks over to my friend's house for our monthly W&M dinner. The theme this month was "Mexican Fiesta" so we had tacos, burritos, guac, Coronas, and nachos. Tre authentic!

Thursday (today) - My work hosts a lunch for the month's bdays so today I get all the Papa John's I want. Tonight I have a dinner date with an old friend at Corduroy. I heard the scallops are to die for and its all local, seasonal products. Basically my goal this week is to not gain 100 lbs by eating massive amounts of yummy food.


*So a quick note on Restaurant Week:

For the last ResWeek in January '06 I went to two places- 1789 and Galileo. My post about it is here. Basically, 1789 was HAWT and Malibu Ken and I were able to sit in the main room by the fireplace, the food was awesome, and the service impeccable. Try the lamp chops.

Galileo on the other hand was very disappointing. Everyone's food came out lukewarm. As if they didn't heat it up enough in the microwave or it was sitting out away from any kind of heat lamp. I wasn't impressed with the flavors, nor the service.

So coming back to Georgia Brown's this past Monday. It was delicious! They had a special menu where you could select from two options for each entree. For my appetizer I selected a shrimp cocktail kabob with a rum sauce glaze and mango chunks. It was pretty good but I wish the shrimp kabob was a hot dish. MK opted to order from the regular menu and got a bowl of she-crab soup. I can say that the soup was probably the most tasty part of the night. It was very thick but not overpowering.

The main course for me was a New York Strip steak with goat cheese and peppercorn and a grits cake. Outstanding, really. The steak was done to perfection and the goat cheese was a nice compliment to the tangy peppercorn. I don't even like grits, but the grit cake had a firmer texture that reminded me of a tater tot. MK opted for the fried chicken on top of garlic mashed potatoes with collard greens. The boy loves food anyway but he really likes fried chicken and said it was delicious.

For dessert I had an apple tart and MK had a pecan chocolate pie. My tart was OK, but MK's was sooo rich and decadent.

Overall, I was very impressed with Georgia Brown's and would take just about anyone there to enjoy their scrumptious food. The service was very very good as well.

So where have you all gone/will go for DC's Restaurant Week???

4 Comments:

Blogger Asian Mistress said...

Mmmmm I'm jealous!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

PS I've been dyin to go to Georgia Brown's for brunch....amazing

7:04 PM  
Blogger lala said...

i had a horrible experience at galileo during winter restaurant week, too...and by horrible i mean i was puking before i even left the restaurant (and had had one drink). i ALWAYS enjoy 1789, though i will say that since the new chef came along it hasn't been quite what it used to be (they have three courses for $35 through the middle of september...go to the website for the coupon). i'm a restaurant week whore (say my friends) and went to my fourth (and last!) meal tonight...butterfield 9 monday (pretty good), kinkeads tuesday (AMAZING), tosca last night (good, but not worth "full price") and colvin run tavern tonight (superb).

9:17 PM  
Blogger NubianTemptres43 said...

lol - that's what tapatini's should have been called. we must do that again. AM can join us next time. i'm gonna ask T to send the pictures from that night - i have some on my myspace page - hilarious!!!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home