Monday, November 06, 2006

Privilege

I know I bitch and complain about lots of things, from the Metro to my punk-ass ex-boyfriend giving me back my well worn "Most Likely To Die Alone" crown, but I am lucky and blessed and privileged. I just got a new job, I have a caring family, and I have a maid.

Yes. A maid. I share a sweet-ass Real World style house with 4 other people. The home was built in August 2005 and essentially still looks like a model home. I have no idea why the landlords are letting a bunch of kids rent it, but I've simply stopped asking questions.

My house is great for entertaining and is large (I-66 and Mr. Virgle Kent can attest to this) - hence the roommate agreement to have a maid come once a month to clean the common areas top to bottom. The dining room, living room, family room, gourmet kitchen, laundry room, and hallways.

The dining room

The living room


The gourmet kitchen - where I try to live out my Everyday Italian fantasies

Some of my roommates pay extra to have the maid clean their rooms and bathrooms. I however did not elect to pay extra for this because a) I am an adult and can clean my own damn room b) i like using my Goodnest from Target Plum Grapefruit Cleaner to clean my bathroom. I'm not a near freak but I have my own order to things. My room is medium sized with lots of closet space - 1 walk in closet and 1 closet of shelves - and I have my own bathroom. I have ample room to stash things and remember where I put them.


Exhibit A: "Cute Shoes Shelf"

So imagine my surprise when I came into my room last week and found that the maid mistakenly cleaned my room for the 2nd month in a row. I did not indicate that I wanted to have my room cleaned. It was completely vacuumed, dusted, Cloroxed, etc. Now, I'm not complaining. But if I knew the maid was coming I would have picked up a little bit. Yes, I know that sounds silly but I think my Mom instilled this principle in me years ago. Also, now I can't find anything. The maid moved stuff around so much. I couldn't find my remote control for a day because it was not where I usually keep it (on the nightstand) but was on a shelf in my closet. Hmmm. I also can't find my iPod charger. Hmmm. And I am missing some thongs... Hmmm.....

But at the end of the day, if having my room rearranged is all I can gripe about then things aren't too bad. Well, except that this crown keeps sliding off my head and making it difficult to type...

11 Comments:

Blogger Joelogon said...

Nice place. Needs more books, though. Also some more clutter. Want some of mine? I have plenty to spare. -- Joe

11:59 PM  
Blogger JordanBaker said...

I just died a little from kitchen envy.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

Congrats on the job!!! And love your place:-)

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your kitchen!!!!! Oh my gosh. It's so perfect! Why are all these happy hours on days I can't attend! Bummer. We're packing up that night big time to move all our stuff down Saturday. Have fun!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

I too learned to pick up before the house cleaner came. Now that I don't have a house cleaner I have a really hard time picking up.

Now, when can I come to hour house? Mostly so I can sit in that awesome kitchen.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could afford to rent a house. That was my plan, back when I lived in the Land of Affordability and Republicans, but no such luck here.

10:34 AM  
Blogger NubianTemptres43 said...

so AM and i will be over that way soon to use that lovely kitchen to play out all of our baking fantasies. i wish upon all the stars of stars that i could come home to a clean house by accident . . .

sorry 'bout not giving you the heads up on the JL/RT concert =(

you need to take that crown off, you are too haute to be alone . . .
he is replaceable

11:26 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Oh that kitchen is totes gorgeous.

And I love the shoe shelf. I have handbag cubbies in my closet which is NOT a walk-in, but the handbag cubbies make it bearable.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOOK at those cheetah shoes - soul sista!!! I'm instantly in love w/ you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Circe said...

I love the pics and especially the shoe pic. Sure wish I had a maid....TBC is so messy....you can tell whose side of the bed is whose...

5:10 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I would gladly exchange some underwear for maid service.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home