Sunday, January 28, 2007

One Fish, Two Fish...

For the past 2 weeks I have been OBSESSED with getting a dog. A miniature smooth coat dachshund to be exact. I've always thought dachshunds, or "wiener-dogs," were adorable. And they have a personality just like me - loyal, playful, small build but you wouldn't be able to tell because they act like big dogs. :) Here is an example of the breed I want:


This is a smooth coat Red female mini dachshund. Look at that face! Sigh.

As I thought about shelling out $500-$800 for one these adorable puppies, I realized that right now wouldn't be a good time to have a dog. I can barely afford to feed myself and I'm not home enough to really care for a dog. I decided it would be better to save up the money, wait until I have my own apartment, and take on a dog in a serious manner (besides just wanting to dress it up in sweaters).

So as I entered the pet store this weekend, I opted for a pet that requires less care. I got a purple Beta fish and his name is Max. Max is pretty chill and I think he enjoys the blue marbles I put in his fishbowl!




8 Comments:

Anonymous MappyB said...

I know! I want a dog so bad too, but I have to wait until we actually have room for it! Your dog of choice is very cute - so is Max! Betta's are fun fish!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Twoste said...

Those Daschunds are the most disagreeable, stubborn little ferrits you will ever meet. DO NOT buy one.

12:10 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Aw, Max is a cutie! He might get a little itchy in a sweater, though.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Moxie said...

oooh, so cute. I still want a dog, but, can't commit. Fostering a dog to be adopted is all I can handle. It does make me realize what a job they are - it's needs to be a labor of love to get me out in the cold with it at 7am. How about waiting until spring?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Labell said...

A couple of things...1) If you are serious about getting a dog, go to the Washington Humane Society, cause they have plenty of small dogs (sometimes even weiner dogs) that need great homes and are great companions
2) Those dogs are actually very high strung and need lots of attention (I dog-sat two for over a month) so, just be aware, do research.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Labell said...

a couple of things:
1) if youre really looking for a dog, go to the Washington Humane Society, there are plenty of great small dogs there that need homes, and the only cost is shots, which runs about $100 (do not go to pet stores)
2) Daschunds are very high strung dogs who need LOTS of attention, I know from experience. Do your research before getting one...

8:30 PM  
Blogger Freckled K said...

http://www.drna.org/available.asp

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own 3 minature dachshunds. They are playful, lovable and for such a small dog quiet rugged. However, they can be stubborn, they are barkers, and very, very prone to disk and back problems. We spend $5k in vet bills last summer and in the end has to put him down anyway b/c his quality of life was tremendously compromised. Doxies are great, but please, please, do your research, as you would w/ getting any dog. The last thing any true dog / animal lover wants to see is a the animal returned to a shelter.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home