It seems that every year the Christmas season starts earlier and earlier (it's really just a marketing ploy to reel in consumers). But last night's snowfall really signaled the start of the season for me. I have already done some gift shopping and now I'm gearing up for my annual holiday party. Tis the season for holiday musings!
* My holiday party is on December 17th. It has a charity aspect as well. I'm having everyone bring a shoebox project for S.O.M.E.
- So Others Might Eat. This is an organization in DC that benefits homeless citizens. I'm requesting people bring an empty shoebox and small NEW toiletries to fill it with. It can contain items for a man, woman, or child such as: socks, gloves, shampoo, comb, toothbrush, small toy, etc. Then we'll wrap the boxes in festive seasonal wrapping paper and I'll drop them off downtown. If anyone would like to be added to the Evite just shoot me an email!
*A note on Evite ettiquette - My supposed friend S. Lo made a real shady move by scheduling her party the same night as mine even though I sent out my Evite 3 DAYS
before her. I know she viewed the Evite last Friday and then yesterday she sent out hers. I know it's a really busy season and there are tons of parties going on, but now our mutual friends have to decide between our parties that night. (I really would prefer that our friends just choose one party and stay there throughout the night instead of trying to go back and forth and run the risk of drinking and driving). I guess S. Lo doesn't have the balls to admit that she's a jealous conniving heifer, so she directs her roommate to send me a lame email apologizing and saying that Dec 17th was the only day that worked for them. Shady shady shady. Don't expect an xmas present from me. Like my Mom always says: "God doesn't like ugly." Anywho, my party will rock harder and has a charity involved, so clearly if they don't come they hate children and homeless people.
*I admit that I like holiday music. There are 3 musical stylings that get me in the holiday spirit.
1. Wham - "Last Christmas" breaks my heart everytime but a great song to dance to.
2. Linda Eder - She is a Broadway star/performer with the most amazing voice. I swear her version of "Ava Marie" makes me cry like a 10 yr old girl.
3. "Christmas With the Rat Pack" - A must have CD for the holidays. So classy. It takes you back to a time where gin martinis were strong and the men were even stronger.
* Going to my mom's house on xmas eve and waking up to the smell of a roasting turkey and pie, then opening up presents with my brother. That is such a warm fuzzy feeling.
*The gift hunt for Malibu Ken continues. I already purchased a Simpsons DVD but I need a clincher. He mentioned he needed a tie rack so I thought I might get him one of those snazzy electronic rotating tie racks you can install in your closet. But doesn't that seem like such a Dad kind of gift!??! He also plays guitar and loves Pearl Jam, so maybe a tabs book?
*I love D.C. in the winter. It's such a pretty city. 'Tis the season everyone!